Monday, July 13, 2009

Etsy Attack

I don't know exactly what has come over me in the past few days, but I like it! I've gone completely spinning crazy; my Oceanwind Knits superwash merino sat in a drawer for months, completely neglected, but the other day I unearthed it on a whim. Since then, I have plied up a spindle-full, and it is lovely!






This is the thinnest I have ever spun, and even though I've put in countless hours of work in the past few days, I still have a LOT of roving remaining from the 4 oz I bought! I think the solution to this problem is very clear; I need a wheel, but more about that later. I decided to go with a 2 ply yarn, because I wanted to get as much yardage out of this roving as I could. Judging by the skein I just plied, the yarn I've got is a very light fingering weight. I suspect that the remainder of yarn I spin will be a bit thinner because I've improved quite a bit since my first attempts...and I seem to be spinning thinner and thinner. So I guess I won't be able to knit this yarn into anything, if each skein I make is a different gauge, but it'll be very pretty! I'm having a great time spinning it either way, and have already been shopping for more roving!

I am a knit podcast junkie, and it seems like there is always someone talking about Pigeonroof studios, whether it be her yarn or roving. After much etsy and ravelry stalking I committed to 4 oz of corriedale roving in each of two colours...




The colour on the top is called Collision Course, and the bottom is Lucky Break


...sooooo pretty! I know that Krista from Pigeonroof goes to some of the big knitting shows in the U.S. (Stitches West I think...) but up in Toronto, I was forced to buy without first seeing anything in person. My life is so hard! Anyway, I am very excited for my rovings to arrive in the mail, but my fiber stash is growing at an alarming rate. I suspect that if I attempted to spin all of my fiber on a spindle it would take me...oh maybe 500 years! This is just not OK. I do not intend to stop buying more fiber, much the opposite in fact, so the only solution I can find is to get my hands on a wheel. Lucky for me, some knitters at the shop have offered to lend me their wheels. I'm hoping that buying a wheel for myself will be easier when I already have an idea of how to use one.

Essentially, I want to buy a spinning wheel so that I can buy more roving and fiber. Is that Insane? I think so. I can safely blame Etsy for this irrational behaviour. I've been refreshing the Pigeonroof Studios store a few times every day...because I have to be there when she adds new stuff so that I can buy it before anyone else! It's like a shopping competition or something.

But that's not all; I've been browsing pretty batts of fiber as well. Luckily, in his hippie days my father dabbled in spinning, and he kept his set of hand carders. So last night I swiped those and attempted to make a few batts with some fiber scraps...they were hideous! I didn't even take a picture of them. The roving I was using was felted really badly too, and I'm sure that that made the situation much worse than it needed to be. When I get my confidence up again, I'm going to make a second attempt. If all goes well, I'll have one more thing to obsess over on Etsy!

Oh! Look at this mysterious car accessory...



...I spotted these while walking with Jeremy (that's his reflection in the window) around the Queen and Bathurst area. So I am in love with this little radish character, but I've never known what it's deal is. I have the same scowling radish dangling from my camera, but I nearly lost it when I saw these babies! The weirdest part is that the large radishes have smaller radishes on their crotches. I'm not even going to attempt to figure that out!

No comments:

Post a Comment