Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I'm still here, I promise!

Ok, so its been waaaay too long since my last post, and I didn't want it to be this way I swear!
A chain of silly events have kept me from posting all this time; firstly, I had my wisdom teeth out two Mondays ago. I stayed with my parents for a few days afterward...because there's no one out there who can fuss over me better than my mom! Needless to say I did not get around to posting while my face was sore and puffy, but I recovered quickly and was back to knitting in just a day or so. The following Wednesday my boyfriend, Jeremy, left on a work-trip for Dubai. I tend to stay with my parents while he's away because I don't really like being home alone for any long amount of time, and I also like visiting my family of course! No posting got done while I was there either, because there was a cute little puppy to play with!

Firstly, and most excitingly for sure is that this past Saturday was the DKC Knitter's Frolic! The Sheep had a jam-packed little booth there, so I worked for half the day and shopped for the remainder. This year was my second frolic, so I should have been better prepared, but I fell into the same trap as last year. I did go in with a better game plan however; no laceweight (because I haven't knit ANY of the lace weight that I bought last year) and buy rovings in fibers that I haven't spun before. At least I stuck to my game plan.

In the end I came home with some lovely rovings, including one of my new favourite dyers, Tanis Fiber Arts superwash merino roving...in a colourway that I have never seen before! I also got to meet Tanis and her mother, who were both very sweet. Hopefully I can do justice to this lovely colourway...I think I'm going to save it for a while before I spin it up!





I also picked up some 50/50 wool mohair from Wellington Fibers. I ventured outside my comfort zone and chose a bright orange...unfortunately my camera battery died before I could get a picture of it, but one will pop up soon enough. I'm really excited to spin this up, and I really love the box it comes in...cute packaging goes a long way in my opinion!

I also bought some superwash merino from Oceanwind Knits. I drooled over their yarns last year, but didn't bring anything home with me, so a purchase was long overdue this time around. Their colourways are right up my alley; the perfect balance of gray and pastel loveliness! I didn't get a picture of this roving either, but it is a stunning combo of blue and pink...it looks like a cottage sunrise...if that helps anyone visualize it...

My final roving purchase (I know, I was just throwing money at people!) was from the Black Lamb. I scooped a tiny amount of 50/50 merino silk in a very pretty burgundy and royal blue colour combo...this will likely be saved for quite some time...too slippery!

I scooped some lovely yarn too, but its just not as exciting as my roving, and I have more stuff to talk about......

While I was at my parents I made something that I am suuuper proud of...a BAG! Thats right, you may have heard me say that If I were ever left alone with a sewing machine I would likely sew over my hand...but I didn't! I enlisted the help of my mother, who had made the same pattern way back in the 70's I think. All in it took me about a day to make the thing, and the best part is I found this awesome fabric at Ikea of all places, so it was cheap! I will certainly be making more of these bags, and this little success has boosted my sewing confidence considerably! I even lined this baby with a coordinating fabric AND put a pocket inside the bag...sigh!



I also knit up my last handspun into a cute little toque. I ended up with about 105 yards once the yarn was plied and set, and initially thought I would have enough yarn to knit a had, but quickly realized that 105 yards was indeed not enough. In the end I striped my handspun with Rowan Cocoon (a droolworthy chunky wool/mohair blend), and am VERY happy with the look of the hat...though I do think that it needs a pom pom!

No comments:

Post a Comment