Saturday, July 31, 2010

northern adventure

Last weekend I visited my Aunt in North Bay, probably one of my favourite places on the planet! We did all the usual northern Ontario stuff; lake swimming, canoeing, wandering through the forest...and I went bonkers taking pictures...











My cousin's camp in the middle of nowhere, really. We drove for an hour deeper and deeper into wilderness on beautiful country roads. I even saw my first moose on the way in, cute! Most impressive, I think, is that she and her family built the entire structure from the ground up. They live there for most of the summer without running water or electricity. Sigh, so dreamy!
They have a few ponds on their huge property that are a home for many happy geese and beavers, frogs and countless other cute little creatures.

And here is a view of my aunt's beautiful beach! I took these pictures around dusk on an overcast day. The light was so crazy pretty, how could I resist?!
The water level is really low this year, so all the little plants are new. I really loved these cute little star shaped flowers.











Needless to say, it was a great weekend. I always return from North Bay feeling so relaxed and energized...and I got so much knitting done too! So much so that I managed to finish my Charlie sweater!

I love it! I'd say this sweater has the perfect balance of vintage style and simplicity. So pretty and comfortable, and crazy easy to knit too! I can't wait to wear it when the weather cools off, and am already planning more. I have the Holst Garn Isabelle sent me, so I will certainly knit another with that yarn. But I've also begun to envision a longer tunic/dress version. I'm also so happy with how the yarn looks and feels. Knit to this looser gauge it is so smooshy and soft, and the colour combo is perfect! The stripes are apparent, but not intense; they blend together just a little and I love it!









2 comments: